Golden Globes Nominees 2010: The Aftermath
Since I just don’t feel like fulfilling my commitment to the people paying me this meager wage, how about I over-analyze and have knee jerk reactions to the Golden Globe nominees? Movies first, since the TV ones will no doubt piss me right off.
- How did “An Education” not make the Best Picture, Drama list? Carey Mulligan is up for Best Actress, but the movie was snubbed. One has to assume that “Avatar” or “Inglourious Basterds” stole its spot. That’s pretty messed up.
- There was no love for the Coens or “A Serious Man”. Michael Stuhlbarg was nominated for Best Actor, Comedy, but I’m guessing this means he will not get one of the five Best Actor spots by the Academy. Two words: rip-f’ing-off.
- I really like the Best Picture, Comedy/Musical nominees. It’s good to see “The Hangover” and “(500) Days Of Summer” get credit for being what they are, which are two of the best movies of 2009.
- What’s up with the Best Actress, Comedy arena? Julia Roberts? Meryl Streep? Here’s hoping Marion Cotillard wins just so we don’t have to endure a brutal acceptance speech from Roberts or Streep.
- I so don’t want anything from “Precious” to win. If that amazingly obnoxious, no-talent hack Mo’Nique wins, I may shut the telecast off. I don’t want to hear any attempts at humility from her after all the “what’s in it financially for me” talk recently.
- How awkward is it that Kathryn Bigelow and James Cameron are up for Best Director? Umm…they went through what would be called a bitter divorce.
- Finally…I liked “District 9” and all…but it getting a Best Screenplay nomination over the Coens for “A Serious Man” is a crime.
- Where the f— is “Lost”? How can a show that is universally loved by critics be this consistently ignored at the Golden Globes? Sure, they tossed a nomination to Michael Emerson, but there is zero chance he wins this one since the Globes are essentially a popularity contest.
- “30 Rock is showered with praise as usual. I just don’t get it. I’m sure Baldwin will win over the more deserving Steve Carell.
- The entire list of Best Comedy shows sucks. No “Flight Of The Conchords”? That’s a crime.
Phew. That’s enough for now. I guess I’ll do some “work”.