Knee Jerk Reactions! The 2009 Oscar Noms Gag On It!!
The Academy Award nominations were announced this morning and, as usual, there are some expected nominations and some controversial ones.
- “Avatar” and “The Hurt Locker” tie for the most nominations? That’s probably right.
- If “Avatar” wins Best Picture, it’s safe to say that in a few years we’ll all be giving it the “Shakespeare In Love” treatment…as in it shouldn’t have won and “The Hurt Locker” is the far better movie.
- “The Blind Side” over “Star Trek”, “(500) Days Of Summer”? “Precious” over…well…anything?
- The saving grace of all the nominations is “A Serious Man” for Best Picture. I’ll have my Coen Brothers Foam Finger on for Oscar night, even knowing that pulling for it to win is like rooting for the Kansas City Royals.
- How the hell does Lee Daniels get a Best Director spot over the Coens or Neill Blomkamp (District 9)?
- Hey, I like Penelope Cruz as much as every heterosexual male alive, but her Best Supporting Actress nom for “Nine” came out of nowhere. I haven’t seen “A Single Man” but I understand that Julianne Moore was much more deserving for her role in it.
- Let’s just give Jeff Bridges the Best Actor trophy and be done with it okay? He’s lights out greatness in “Crazy Heart” and deserves all the praise that he is getting.
- I’m firmly in the Anyone But Mo’Nique camp. She is so obnoxiously annoying. How can anyone from the cast of “Soul Plane” actually have an Oscar? She will have exactly as many as Al Pacino and Martin Scorsese. Pathetic.
- “(500) Days Of Summer” has been shut out. Nothing. Nada. I will go pout in the corner now whilst listening to The Smiths.
Just to make something a bit clear, it’s not that I don’t like “Precious” or anything since I haven’t actually seen it. I just can’t stand Mo’Nique. She’s not even good at her regular job of stand-up comedy.