How 2010 Became The Year The Austin City Limits Festival Completely Sold Its Soul
When you go to an all-weekend music festival, you should know going in to expect lots and lots of indie bands with most of the headlining acts being some big name artists that still seem hip or cool. For example, the last time I attended ACL, Tom Petty was the final act. Sure, Petty’s sold millions of records and is a huge star, but he still maintains a hipster image of cool. So, in my snobby/douchey hipster mind, he remains cool.
Well, the 2010 ACL lineup was just announced and the headliners are some of the worst I’ve seen. Let’s look at them shall we?
- The Eagles: If The Dude hates the Eagles, I hate the Eagles. Oh, just kidding. I dig The Eagles. Now, do I think that they should be headlining ACL? Not a chance. They are going to be so out of place, especially after following the next band on Sunday night…
- The Flaming Lips: Search for this band on this blog and that should explain how I feel about them. They are greatness. They are rock heroes. They will make The Eagles look 500 years old after they finish their set.
- Muse: Vomit.
- Norah Jones: Won’t there be enough weed at Zilker Park to put people to sleep? The last thing we need is Jones to come out and knock everyone out.
- The Strokes: Okay, now we’re talking. They haven’t really played together in years and it will be interesting to see if I like them as much as I did six or seven years ago.
- Phish: Dear Lord. My only hope is that all the dirty, disgusting burnout dopes that still think this band is actually good clear out of Austin after they are done on Friday night. This band is so musically irrelevant…I…I…I really can’t think of anything truly cruel enough to say about how much I despise this band.
Now, there are several bands that make my indie snob pants go crazy. Here are the bands that you should be wanting to see because they are playing really great music that you’ll not be wanting to be missing.
- Vampire Weekend
- Broken Bells
- Beach House
- LCD Soundsystem
- Monsters Of Folk
- Matt & Kim
- The xx
- The Temper Trap
- Local Natives
- Bear In Heaven
Sunday Sunday Sunday!
- The Flaming Lips
- Band Of Horses
- The National
- The Morning Benders
I am a fan of all these bands and can personally vouch for their awesomenicity.