1. Highlight names of players I draft in yellow.
2. Wonder how the other MLB teams don’t have Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Cole Hamels, & Roy Oswalt.
3. Consult local legend/draft expert/Super Bowl planner expert Jerry Jones with each of my choices.
4. Drink Diet Coke.
5. Costume changes that involve several pieces of Phillies gear.
6. Annoy my wife with what is most definitely clever banter, but she simply doesn’t understand.
7. Loudly question why 1993 Lenny Dykstra is not available to be chosen.
8. Not eat gluten.
9. Bombard your ears with my own Chris Berman-style names for current day players.
10. Openly cry as I watch the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies World Series Championship Bluray disc.
It’s not really about me so much as it is about my obsession with the adult male version of Dungeons & Dragons. No, I’m not talking about some gay online PC game. Please, I don’t live with my parents. I am talking about, of course, Fantasy Football.
No lie, I started playing this game in 1988. Next year will by 20th anniversary with sports geekdom. I am the Cal Ripken of Fantasy Football. I have won my share and lost my share. I also play Fantasy Baseball which is ever geekier. I have won my share and well, won my share. I dominate the Fantasy Baseball world. Seriously. That schwab idiot on the worldwide leader of sports ESPN? He’s a clown. I would own that fat dope.
Why is this relevant today? I stayed after work, in our conference room for a bit over three hours tonight doing our Fantasy Football draft. It was actually the best draft I have even been in because we used the overhead projector and showed the entire draft on the big screen. If you are a Fantasy geek, you know that is pretty cool. Really. It is.
I had the seventh pick overall and here is my team in pick order:
1. Brian Westbrook, RB
2. Fast Willie Parker, RB
3. Donovan McNabb, QB (this would be the part of the draft when I was called a “homer”)
4. Maurice Jones-Drew, RB
5. Deion Branch, WR
6. Calvin Johnson, WR
7. Santonio Homes, WR
8. Vernon Davis, TE
9. Bernard Berrian, WR
10. Vincent Jackson, WR
11. Brandon Jackson, RB
12. Matt Jones, WR
13. LenDale White, RB
14. Ben Watson, TE
15. Rex Grossman, QB (who is actually being interview on ESPN as I type)
16. David Akers, K
17. Colts Defense
That’s it. That’s my team. Yes, I am an Eagles fan and yes, I am a huge homer for taking McNabb. Come on, he’s good and taking him in the Third Round is just fine.
So there it is. That’s what I did on my Monday night. Awesometown.