Last night, lead singer of The Flaming Lips/greatest rock front man alive today Wayne Coyne personally delivered vinyl copies of his band’s collaboration with Neon Indian to Good Records in Dallas, TX. As I have been following The Flaming Lips for about twenty years now, I naturally went to not only get the record, but be presented with the chance to meet Wayne.
I met Wayne. He shook my hand. I said thanks for coming to Dallas. Then I froze. I have never really been the starstruck type, but I went completely stupid. I don’t know if I said anything coherent. I do know that he signed my record.
Then…he hugged Mrs. Cinematically Correct and I. And a picture was taken. I am not a fan of pictures, but I couldn’t and still can’t get that stupid grin off my face.
Cinematically Correct Lives!! Pine As The Cap’n? Conan’s Unemployment Beard! Betty White Models Lingerie!
There hasn’t been anything posted here since last Thursday! This means that Cinematically Correct was wasting even more Internet space than the standard amount it wastes. It’s kind of like if John Mayer stopped performing. Why the Mayer shot? Well, I would have taken plenty last week but I was busy dealing with snow in Texas and a locked iPhone…dark, dark days indeed.
- There is a correction for the headline here. Betty White is not modeling lingerie. Instead, there is some wheels off movement to get her as a Saturday Night Live host this year. Why the hell not? She’s total greatness and there’s a guarantee the ratings for that episode would be massive. Besides, she’ll say just about anything for a laugh.
- Ah, it’s Christina Hendricks that is modeling lingerie. Again, I’m not a meathead guy…but holy s*** dude. This just can’t be legal right? I’m going on record saying that Hendricks is the Most Gorgeous Chick Of All Time That You Will Look At This Afternoon Today.
- Anybody excited about the Bonarroo lineup? It’s pretty kickass. It’s even more awesomer (bad phrasing?) knowing that The Flaming Lips are performing “Dark Side Of The Moon” in its entirety, just like they did in Oklahoma City on New Year’s Eve. Now, Wayne Coyne’s house? It’s even more awesomer…est?
- Last year, while I was unemployed, it was difficult to get motivated because unlike Conan O’Brien, my douchebag former employer didn’t give me $35 million bucks to go away. So I sat around, ate ice cream, played X-Box, watched The Price Is Right, you know…deadbeat things that stoners do. Conan O’Brien takes his kids to Hawaii. Have we all stopped feeling completely sorry for Conan? Good.
- Make no mistake about the previous bullet point…Jay Leno and NBC can still go straight to hell. Love you Coco.
- Awhile back, Mrs. Cinematically Correct went on and on about Aaron Eckhart and how fabulous he is and how she wants to be his girlfriend…blah blah blah. She wants him to Captain America. Well, she won’t get to see Eckhart in blue tights just yet as the latest rumor du jour (that’s French for “soup of the day”) is Chris Pine is going to put on those particular super-hero stretchy pants. Pine released a statement saying that he “will only play fictional Captains from this point forth“. He didn’t say that.
- Finally…there is some strange animated page on the Flynn Lives website right now. Flynn, of course, is the main character from “Tron” and is played by Jeff Bridges, who is pretty much the best at everything. The online geek community (not me of course) seems to think that this is some kind of counter or countdown clock. Counting down to what? The time when Tron junkies finally move out of their parent’s basement? Perhaps the first time they accidentally kiss a girl? More? No? Okay. Bye.
The biggest ballon drop? Biggest mirrorball? I am three hours from Oklahoma City…would passing up The Flaming Lips on New Year’s Eve in their hometown be completely insane? The entire trip could be reasonably pulled off for around $250…and Wayne is really selling it.
For the second straight year, Wayne Coyne got in his big plastic bubble and led the Oklahoma City Halloween Parade title “March Of 1,000 Skeletons”.
Wayne and The Flaming Lips sure are all about Oklahoma. They are up for the “official song of Oklahoma”, they have an alley in OKC named after then, maybe Wayne should run for governor. At the very least, he needs to take over from that hillbilly Toby Keith as the default celebrity from Oklahoma. Click here to watch some parade footage, including Wayne in the bubble.
Wayne Coyne, lead singer/songwriter of The Flaming Lips, is an odd fellow. He likes to get in a huge plastic bubble and crowd surf at Lips shows. The other members of the band aren’t exactly “normal” either, since they sometimes dress up in animal costumes when they play live. Yes, the theatricality of The Flaming Lips sometimes overshadows the fact that they have made some of the best music in the past 20 years.
Unfortunately, according to Aaron Hillis of the Village Voice, Wayne Coyne’s film, “Christmas on Mars”, is not good. He calls it a “shockingly humorless, even dull film“. Total…bummer. There are even some cool actors and musicians in the movie too, with cameos from Elijah Wood, Adam Goldberg, Fred Armisen, former “Blues Clues” host Steve Burns, and Modest Mouse’s Isaac Brock. For a movie filmed entirely in and around Wayne Coyne’s Oklahoma City home, that’s an impressive little cast. It’s unfortunate that the movie sounds…well…awful.
Cinematically Correct note: The picture seen here is indeed Wayne as “The Martian” from the movie. Yeah…it looks pretty bad.
Here’s an interview that The Flaming Lips Wayne Coyne gave about getting through the three or four day music festival. Want to know how I get through it? I don’t go. They are a complete beat-down. By the end of one day, you feel like you were punched in the face 100 times.